Dorset Horse Logging specialises in low impact timber extraction using a pair of experienced, well trained heavy horses mixed with modern horse drawn forestry equipment. We provide a safe, commercially viable, efficient and environmentally friendly service.
Benefits of using horses to extract timber are:
- Minimal disturbance on the woodland floor and paths, leaving no ruts, if anything the ground is lightly scarified creating a seed bed for natural regeneration.
- No reinstatement costs
- Timber can be pulled out to rides or road side, where forwarders can access it.
- Horses work safely on the side of slopes.
- Horses can access woodlands through narrow paths and gates.
- No damage to other trees and stumps especially on first thinning and coppice sites.
- Horses become an attraction on public sites and no need to close footpaths.
- No noise or pollution.
In the past we have done work for the following organisations, all of which are happy to supply reference: National Trust, RSPB, Butterfly Conservation, National Parks Aurthority (New Forest), Euro Forest, Dorset County Council, Perenco UK, Dorset Wildlife Trust, Natural Resources Wales, Woodland Trust and private woodland owners.
We have been accepted onto the British Horse Loggers Professional Register meaning that we are recognised as one of the leading Horse Logging businesses in the UK.
If you are interested in using horses to extract timber, please email or call for a chat and I will be happy to talk through different options, costings and arrange a site visit.